In addition to our members we have an elected Committee comprising the following roles:
Co-Chair – Meet Ian Holdsworth
Bio to follow
Co-Chair – Meet Lisa Kelly
Hi, I’m Lisa, Transgender subgroup coordinator and co-chair. I got involved with the Forum because I am passionate about all things LGBT and a campaigner on rights for LGBT people. I firmly believe that with my own experiences of being transgender, I can also help other transgender people along their path towards their chosen gender. I am passionate about bringing transgender issues into the public eye and making York much more accepting of transgender folk along with LGB folk too.
Treasurer – Jack Cave
Bio to follow
Health & Wellbeing and Secretary – Meet Jake Furby
Jake has been involved with the Forum since 2009.
Jake has a strong counselling background having completed a BA (Hons) Counselling Studies course at York St John University in 2012.
During this time Jake has also worked with the LGBT Youth Group and York Pride.
Jake is passionate about promoting LGBT rights and has campaigned on many issues including equal marriage, transgender recognition and advocating for LGBT people across the world.
Jake has presented a proposal document highlighting potential research into the LGBT Community in York with a view to improving services for LGBT people where it is considered necessary.
Jake’s current role in the Forum is the Health and Wellbeing Officer and is also the liaison between the Forum and York Pride. In this role Jake has developed and implemented a monthly coffee morning for LGBT people in the York area.
In the future Jake would also like to see the following:
• An LGBT Counselling service.
• A Health and Wellbeing Centre for LGBT people; this could include a café, meeting rooms for activities and events etc.
• A Social Friending Group for LGBT people.
• An LGBT Youth Group.
• An LGBT Helpline.
Jake has other interests including supporting people with mental health issues and helping to challenge the stigma of mental ill-health. Jake is also an animal rights activist and a vegetarian.
Older LGBT People Subgroup Coordinator – Meet Sue Lister
Sue has been a member of the Committee since the start of the Forum in 2006.
Sue is a staunch campaigner for all things vegan, organic, green energy (not nuclear or fracking!), women’s rights, animal rights, human rights and responsibilities, steady state economics.
A supporter of Avaaz, 38 Degrees, AllOut, Greenpeace and SumOfUs e-petitions confronting injustices around the world.
Sue is passionate about Older LGBT matters and hopes to focus the efforts of the subgroup on the following initiatives:
- The CQC requires LGBT stats which care homes and other organisations don’t have at the moment because most older LGBT folk have gone back into the closet as the safest place to be – the work we do should help liberate these people, let’s make them feel safe and secure to allow them to be themselves.
- Develop a facilitated 1.5 hr LGBT awareness training session for care staff and front line services.
- Work with CYC Housing, York Housing Association and Barchester Homes to enable their LGBT residents to feel comfortable, respected and to enable them to be who they are.
- Promote Dignity Action Day on 1st February to include LGBT events, click here for latest update.
- Attend Dementia Friends training and expand awareness of LGBT specific issues.
Schools and Bisexual – Meet Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a postgraduate mature student at the University of York. After completing her law degree at Oxford University, Emily worked as a finance and restructuring lawyer in London for eleven years, undertaking a Masters in Children’s Literature during that period. She returned to academia full time in 2016, studying Contemporary Literature and Culture. Her areas of research focus on performance poetry, queering popular culture, bierasure and biphobia in popular narratives, Harry Potter, LGBT+ young adult fiction, LGBT post-Stonewall American fiction and fanfiction and fan communities. Emily is a Bisexuality Role Model for Stonewall and is Assistant Coordinator on the York LGBT History Month committee. Together with heading up the Bisexuality Subgroup she is also the Schools Subgroup Coordinator for the York LGBT Forum. She is a freelance writer and blogger.
International – Katie Becker – Bio to follow
Hate Crime – Quinn Brown – Bio to follow