The York Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Forum was established in 2006, to act as a strong and unified voice for the local LGBT community. We achieved charity status in 2015. We also represent other minority groups who fall under the LGBT umbrella.
Under our charity constitution we have a voting membership, so by becoming a member today you can have a say in the running of the York LGBT Forum!
Membership Meetings are on the 2nd Thursday of the Month 7pm – 9:30pm at York St John University De Grey 124
Whilst the Forum works within the York and North Yorkshire area, it isn’t exclusive to York. We have recently started to work internationally.
Our Aims are
1. To promote equality and diversity for the public benefit by:
– The elimination of discrimination in relation to lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, queer, questioning (LGBT) and allies and associates living within the city of York and its environs;
– Challenging homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, or any associated negative attitudes and behaviour within society;
– Working with partners and organisations, public and private, in developing initiatives that will enhance and safeguard LGBT people’s lives, ensuring their inclusion in all aspects of life, and that their human rights are protected; and by
– Advancing education, raising awareness and promoting a culture based on equality and diversity.
2. To promote social inclusion for the public benefit by preventing lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, queer, questioning people (LGBT) and allies and associates from being socially excluded from society on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity; and
3. To further any other purpose which is charitable according to the law of England and Wales for the public benefit as the trustees see fit from time to time.
These aims and objectives are achieved through a number of ways, including through casework, advocacy, policy and advisory work, mapping local crime analysis, training, projects, outreach and through schools and education.
The Forum believes that where barriers exist, there is inequality!
The diversity within the LGBT community enriches all aspects of life and should be encouraged and promoted. This is why the York LGBT Forum strives to improve the social inclusion of LGBT people in the area.
The Forum actively promotes awareness and understanding of LGBT people’s needs to enable full participation in society and works with many others to reduce the fear of crime and bullying, particularly in schools. It also encourages greater participation in the prevention and detection of homophobic, transphobic and biphobic discrimination.
What we do
The Forum ensures that the rights and interests of LGBT people are represented in York and North Yorkshire. We do this by offering support in the following areas:
If you are a victim of discrimination, harassment or hate crime because you are LGB and/or Trans we will work with you to assess your needs (in confidence) and, if we can help, contact your employer, housing provider or the Police etc. on your behalf and (again) in confidence. We also work with the local strategic groups to stop homophobic hate crime and harassment and to promote services for victims of same-sex domestic violence. If we cannot help we may be able to refer you to someone who can. Find out more the work we do click here
Health and Wellbeing
Do you need support with your mental health, are you looking for a social group. The Health & Wellbeing subgroup aims to promote equal health and well-being for LGBT people here in York. The York LGBT Forum offers some support and social groups, as well as, Yorkshire MESMAC and other organisations. Please click here for more details.
Do you need support/advice/social help? we can offer you support, we run a trans social night and workshops Please click here for more details.
Schools and Young People
The schools’ subgroup aims to source & provide access to a multitude of LGBT-related resources. We have launched our first every writing competition in schools and our future aim is to develop a training programme for school teachers. Currently, the York LGBT Forum doesn’t offer direct support but our friends at MESMAC does. Please click here for more details.
The Older People’s subgroup aims to raise awareness of older LGBT issues. We currently have a social group Ageing Without Children click here to find out more details about the group.
We also can come and meet you for a chat contact us via email: email@example.com or ring us 01904 488870
The International Subgroup’s aim is to campaign and improve LGBT rights across the world. We give social support to LGBT Aslyum Seekers via the TimeOutYork project. Contact Willaim for more details on firstname.lastname@example.org. We also offer more support Please click here for more details.