We are a registered charity
Registered Charity Number: 1162234
Newsflash Audition Time – trans actors welcome
We are a York Lord Mayor’s Charity of the Year 2016-2017
The York Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Forum was established in 2006, to act as a strong and unified voice for the local LGBT community. We achieved charity status in 2015. We also represent other minority groups who fall under the LGBT umbrella.
Under our charity constitution we have a voting membership, so by becoming a member today you can have a say in the running of the York LGBT Forum!
Whilst the Forum works within the York area, it isn’t exclusive to York. We have recently started to work internationally.
Our Objects are
1. To promote equality and diversity for the public benefit by:
– The elimination of discrimination in relation to lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, queer, questioning (LGBT) and allies and associates living within the city of York and its environs;
– Challenging homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, or any associated negative attitudes and behaviour within society;
– Working with partners and organisations, public and private, in developing initiatives that will enhance and safeguard LGBT people’s lives, ensuring their inclusion in all aspects of life, and that their human rights are protected; and by
– Advancing education, raising awareness and promoting a culture based on equality and diversity.
2. To promote social inclusion for the public benefit by preventing lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, queer, questioning people (LGBT) and allies and associates from being socially excluded from society on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity; and
3. To further any other purpose which is charitable according to the law of England and Wales for the public benefit as the trustees see fit from time to time.
These aims and objectives are achieved through a number of ways, including through casework, advocacy, policy and advisory work, mapping local crime analysis, training, projects, outreach and through schools and education.
The Forum believes that where barriers exist, there is inequality!
The diversity within the LGBT community enriches all aspects of life, and should be encouraged and promoted. This is why the York LGBT Forum strives to improve the social inclusion of LGBT people in the area.
The Forum actively promotes awareness and understanding of LGBT needs to enable full participation in society, and works with many others to reduce the fear of crime and bullying, particularly in schools. It also encourages greater participation in the prevention and detection of homophobic, transphobic and biphobic discrimination.
To receive our monthly bulletin direct to your inbox
Coffee and Cake - LGBT Meet up01/10/2016 at 9:00 am – 11:00 amThe Workshop, YO307BJIf you're LGBT or just curious, come along to the informal coffee morning. Contact Jake on 07935 200575 for more info or email email@example.com
Positive Mingle for HIV + bi and gay guys03/10/2016 at 6:00 pm – 8:00 pmContact Ben for further details 01904 620400 or firstname.lastname@example.orgYork’s first ever "Positive Mingle" is a safe and confidential social event for HIV+ gay and bisexual guys. FREE food and drink provided
GeneraTe: Trans Group in York11/10/2016 at 6:00 pm – 8:00 pmEmail for venue detailsA social group for Trans people, which meets every second and fourth Tuesday of the month in York. Please contact email@example.com